Little Wife On the Prairie





When you are everything to everyone, well, you had better act like you have it all together.



Friday, March 5, 2010

Shabbat food. A celebration!

So I am a foodie. I love all types of food. (I know someone reading this just said, "Yeah, we can tell by your round hiney." For shame!) I do not discriminate. Okay, so maybe I discriminate a little bit. I cannot stand prepackaged, bland, cafeteria style food. I crave food with a simple, fresh and delicious personality. So I love to use our celebration of the Sabbath as a chance to make things that I love. Tonight I am making a pot roast, mashed potatoes, simple cucumber salad, and challah. Dessert will be as American as apple pie. Okay, so it is apple pie. But it will be served with Blue Bell! And of course there will be wine for me and a beer for the hubby!

So this post will take you, my dear friends, through a bit of our Shabbat(Sabbath) meal preparations. Just don't linger too long or it might go straight to your hips!

This is my roast. I pat it dry, season it and sear it. Then I add a little water to the pan. I add onions, garlic, sage, oregano and thyme. I cover it or put it in a dutch oven, pop it in a 300 degree oven and cook the heck out of it! I am serious. If you want it to be tender you have to cook it for 6 plus hours. You won't be sorry. Just make sure it's covered or you will be sorry. Does pot roast dust mean anything to you?



Then we have the serious part. (It's bread and that is always the serious part around here.) Challah. My family has grown to love this traditional Jewish Sabbath bread. It is a simple recipe but becomes special when it is braided, egg washed and bespeckled with sesame seeds. It is a huge loaf that is promptly devoured by my grubby little munchkins. I wish you all could smell the yeasty yummy bread smell coming from my kitchen right now!




The potatoes are easy. Boiled and mashed. This time I put 5 small red potatoes with the roast. I'm going to mash them in with the rest of the potatoes along with some of the drippings from the meat. Also I like to use REAL butter and some cream. Sometimes when I am feeling frisky I use sour cream! Yum!




The salad is much better in the summer with fresh veggies. But I love the crispness and acidity of this dish. Slice sweet onions, tomatoes and cucumbers. Make a dressing of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, a little sugar, salt and pepper and pour it over the veggies. Let it marinate all day and enjoy!




Mmmm, apple pie. So good with some homemade vanilla Blue Bell. Crazy good.



Here are the Shabbat lights that are kindled for us to remember our Adonai and obey Him.


And here is a plate of Shabbat goodness.


And here is my family enjoying the meal and each other!


Shabbat Shalom!

PS-Here is my sous chef:

3 comments:

molly said...

You amaze me! You inspire me with every post...and your photography skills are pretty darn good missy! :) Beautiful dinner, really made me wish I was there!

Rachel said...

This made me so hungry! Looks yummy! I could use some of your motivation right now as tonight will be PB&J (organic and whole wheat but still) & milk for us. It's been a rather long day to say the least.

Little Wife on the Prairie said...

This is the only day I cook like this during the week! We do a lot of simple stuff on other nights. I do try to make as much myself as I can. I like to make most of our breads for meals and then build everything else around that! I am a bread freak! I hope your long day was a good one and I pray rest for all three of you! Be blessed sister!