Little Wife On the Prairie





When you are everything to everyone, well, you had better act like you have it all together.



Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Something new.

I have to pass this along to all of my canning buddies. I had read an article of the danger of BPA in the traditional canning lids. That really bothers me. I am very conscious not to expose my family to any unnecessary chemicals. That is part of the reason that I grow and save my own food. Now I find that the very food I have taken such care to grow without chemical exposure is being stored in jars that are capped with BPA-containing lids. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! That stinks.
To my great pleasure and surprise I found help in something I read this morning. I follow a blog called Food in Jars. She just did a story on Tattler reusable lids. You can read the story yourself here These alternative lids are much like the old rubber ring seals but you don't have to have the hinged lids. These new Tattler lids are much more expensive than the metal, wax-sealed rings. The great thing is, they will last forever! You can use them over and over for the rest of your life. I know that they would be worth the extra cost. Plus, I can feel really good about canning our garden with BPA free lids. My canning season is winding down but I think I am going to start buying these a little at a time. Then, next season, I will be ready!
So there you are. I love you, therefore I want you to know these things. Peace out.

No comments: