Little Wife On the Prairie





When you are everything to everyone, well, you had better act like you have it all together.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The recipe :)

I started out my last post with the intention of sharing this recipe.  But the post took on a life of it's own.  So today, I bring you the photo recipe!

You start with 6 lemons.

You squeeze all of the juice out of  'em.

Then you do the same thing with 2 oranges.

You put the juices together and then put 2 cups of water and a cup and a half of sugar in a pan. 

While that is heating and melting together, you cut 8 sprigs of mint, wash them and put them in the jar you will use to store the syrup.

When the sugar has fully incorporated into the water and the mixture is heated, add the juice to the sugar water.  Then you boil it a few minutes.  Take it off of the heat and pour it over your mint sprigs.

You must let it cool down. Then put it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.  When it is ready you pour the mixture over ice, filling 1/4 of the glass.  Then you fill the rest of the glass with ginger ale.  Garnish with orange or lemon slices and bit of mint.

Your 2nd son will love it.

Your only girl will chug it.

Your baby boy will use it to make everything sticky.

Your eldest son will look at you with his big blue eyes and you will try to kiss him and he will pull away spilling the delicious drink.  He will blame you.  Oh well.  Here's to summer!

PS:  The glasses my kiddos are drinking out of belonged to my Great-Grandmother Gilger.  She was the sweetest woman I ever knew.  Her glasses are the perfect way to hold this drink.  So pick a special glass and make it a moment!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, this looks delicious! The taste testers are very convincing (= Gonna have to try this-I was just telling Joey I am wanting some new drink recipes!

jeana said...

I was looking at those glasses thinking my grandma has those! So special. Going to have to try this!

~Kristin~ said...

Yummy...so refreshing looking!
Love the glasses too!

BTW~ I have a sweet little giveaway going on. Come over and have a looksie! ;o)

http://thissweetcountrylife.blogspot.com/2011/06/celebrating-summer-with-etsy-giveaway.html

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

That looks delicious. Especially after I realized that it was mint, and not a cactus that was being added.

Prairie Rose said...

Oooo! I am most certainly trying this!
But, I want to borrow your adorable helpers to help me make it;)

Little Wife on the Prairie said...

Hahahahaahah Megan! Cactus would be interesting.

Prairie, I will send them your way! I would like them back though. :)

Kristin, I missed it! But I am still going to shop at your daughter's store. Neat stuff!