Little Wife On the Prairie





When you are everything to everyone, well, you had better act like you have it all together.



Thursday, August 28, 2014

Processing.

I have a love/hate relationship with this time of year.  I love the coming coolness of Fall, I love the sounds of school, I love the bounty of the garden.  I hate staring at that bounty and not having time to process it.  I hate the mess that processing creates.  I hate cooking dinner after I have canned all day.  Love it or hate it, the time is here.
 
 
This is the recipe I used for my first tomato sauce experience.  I followed it with the exception of using a food mill or strainer.  I like the skin and seeds.  Extra fiber and nutrition never bothered me.  Plus, I will be using this in other recipes so I doubt it will ever be noticed.
 
My sweet neighbors had an excess of tomatoes and were so kind to share.
 
 I cored them and cut out any bad spots. 
(Notice the nice new GIANT sink?!)

Then I cut the tomatoes into quarters.

I stewed them for 20 minutes.
 
I let them cool a bit before I processed them until they were smooth.  This took awhile because I had to do the 'maters in small batches.
 
Then it went back into the pot to simmer with the lid off so it will reduce into sauce.
 
Then I packed it into hot jars and water-bathed them for 40 minutes.  I can't wait to use them!
 
My joy at being done with that job was short-lived.  This was waiting for me!

Dilly beans!!!
 
I love to see the jars lined up.
 
It would not be a canning day if this did not happen at least once.  It is always disappointing.

Goodbye little jalapeños.
 
It's hard to be sad for long with this little toot around!

No comments: